Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Chicken Apple Sausage Couscous

This recipe is from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I tried it because I bought some of the precooked chicken apple sausages from Costco to try. We have had it a couple of times since, and the whole family likes it.

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/2 yellow onion, sliced into thin half moons  (I have also used red onion and it worked out well)
1 Tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
12 oz. precooked sweet apple chicken sausages, or other type sausage/kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
1/3 cup dried cranberries (I use Craisins)
1 cup dry whole wheat couscous (I just made this again and didn't have couscous so I made it with quinoa            instead and it was still delicious!)

DIRECTIONS
Start the couscous cooking according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet (12-inch), toast the pine nuts over medium-low to medium heat, tossing frequently, until they are golden. Remove the pine nuts to a small bowl and return the skillet to medium heat.

Heat the olive oil until rippling and hot. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to turn translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken sausage and brown lightly, about 2-3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of the chicken broth to the skillet with the salt, pepper, thyme, cumin, coriander, and curry powder. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook until the onion is very tender and most of the liquid has evaporated and/or absorbed. It should still be slightly wet but not soupy.

Add the cranberries and the remaining chicken broth (2/3 cup) to the skillet. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the cranberries are heated through and softened a bit. Stir in the cooked couscous and let the entire mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes until the liquid is mostly absorbed but the couscous is not dry. It should still have some tender moisture to it but not be saturated with broth.

Stir in the toasted pine nuts and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment