Friday, February 11, 2011

Caramel Chex Mix

I got this from the Crazy Daisy Blog and made a batch for neighbors/visiting teachees for Christmas...it was delicious and I was just glad that most of it was given away before I ate it all!!

1 pound butter
3 cups brown sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
2 (14 oz.) boxes of Chex cereal (I used one corn and one rice)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
2 brown paper bags from your grocer's checkstand

First, open paper bags and place one inside of the other. Set aside. Cover table or counter top with wax paper. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Bring the first three ingredients to a boil on the stove in a large kettle, stirring frequently so as not to burn. When everything is all melted and incorporated, take off of heat and add vanilla and baking soda. Stir until foamy. Pour over the double bagged Chex. Roll down top and shake well. microwave for 2 minutes and shake well. Microwave for 2 more minutes and shake again. Make sure to turn the bag on all sides each time you shake to spread the caramel. Open bag and check to make sure the caramel is spread evenly throughout the Chex. If not, shake it up again. However, you should be able to dump the Chex onto the sprayed wax paper. Gently spread the Chex a little. Give it a stir every once in a while as it cools, so that it doesn't dry in one huge clump.

No comments:

Post a Comment