Saturday, February 12, 2011

Copycat Spaghetti Factory's Mizithra Pasta with Browned Butter

This is the meal I used to order EVERY time I went to the Old Spaghetti Factory...I love it, but I don't think anyone else in my family really likes it, so I don't make it super often.

1 cup butter
1 cup Mizithra Cheese, grated
Spaghetti noodles (or pasta of your choice)

Cook the pasta as directed on package. I can't remember exactly how much I used, but my guess is about 1 lb. (I think I may have halved the recipe, so only 1/2 lb. pasta)

Meanwhile, cut 2 sticks of butter into 8 pieces, and place in a 2 quart saucepan. Place on burner on medium heat. Bring butter to a slow boil.

Once the butter begins to boil, stir constantly to prevent residue from sticking to the bottom of the pan. As the butter cooks, it will start to foam and rise. Continue stirring (about 5 minutes), otherwise the butter foam could overflow and catch fire.

Once the butter stops foaming and rising, cook until amber in color (about 1 to 2 minutes). It will have a pleasant caramel aroma.

Turn off the heat and remove pan from burner. Let the sediment settle to the bottom of the pan for a few minutes.

Pour the brown butter through a strainer into a small bowl. Do not disturb the sediment at the bottom of the pan.

The brown butter can be stored in the refrigerator and reheated in a microwave as needed.

Divide the cooked pasta and put a very small amount of browned butter and mizithra cheese over each serving. (A little sauce goes a long way in this a long way in this recipe...it will be ruined easily by putting too much sauce or mizithra on top).

No comments:

Post a Comment